The Best Sales Headlines Sell and that is the reason why Magazines print article headlines on the magazine cover, and that is, much the same reason as why the magazines are placed at the till points in the Supermarkets.
Think about it. As you stand in the queue at the checkout point, what do you do?
- You distract the kids from the sugary sweets placed there at their level and
- You glance at the magazines, also placed conveniently where you can see the covers clearly.
Just as you don’t let the kids pick up the sweets, you refrain from picking up the magazines…that is until an article headline catches your eye. you then read the headline, pick up the magazine and place it carefully in your cart.
Now that is a Winning headline and that is why the magazines with the headlines on the cover are placed at the pay points.
You need to learn how to write the best sales headlines if you are to compete in the online world, because they make the money.
What Are “Headlines” and Why Are They So Important?
Your Headline is the road sign. It tells everyone what follows and it had better be enticing, highly visible and inviting.
It is the job of a Headline to get people to read the first line in the first place. The first line should get the visitor to read the second line and so on. This means that the headline is the most important to get the visitor but the article must keep the visitor.
So the secret is to have the best headlines on Relevant, helpful and well written articles.
Are Headlines Worth 90% of the Advertising Spend
Headlines are considered so important because a single word can change an advertising campaign dramatically. There have been e-mail campaigns where subject lines where a one word change increased click-throughs by 46%.
If the headline does not work, the article, no matter how it is written will probably fail. If your visitor reads the first line and it is poorly written and or irrelevant they will simply click away. All that time and effort that you put into writing that post will have been wasted.
So, Are Headlines Worth 90% of the Advertising Spend? Only if they are part of a well written and relevant article. The Best Sales Headlines will probably not save a poorly written or irrelevant article. The Headline is part of the package.
How to Write Attention Grabbing Headlines That Convert
Remembering that The primary purpose of the headline is to get the first sentence read, we need to work on getting it right. Here are some rules the “4U’s” of writing attention driven headlines:
- Unique They have to stand out from the pack.
- Ultra-specific Address a specific audience.
- Convey a sense of urgency
- Useful Tell your reader about what comes next in the article. This is why the article need to be well written and relevant.
Must Be Targeted/Relevant
This is of the utmost importance. The headline must be relevant to the article. It helps naught to write a brilliant headline that has nothing, or very little to do with your article. This could be very negative.
If someone reads your headline and follows it thinking it will lead to information that he or she need and they find that it does not, they will simply click away leaving you a “bounce”. It will not improve your authority for your page or your site. It will also not lead to sales, share, comments or likes for your page, all of which are what you want.
Types of Headlines That Are Most Successful
There are a number of different types of posts that you can use that are very successful. These are:=
- Personal Posts These posts tell your audience that you AR going to let them in on you personal experiences, secrets and darkest/brightest ideas.
Here are some examples of Personal Posts :
- 5 Things I’ve Never Told You (or, How to Re-Introduce Yourself and Kick Your Watered-Down Self in the Ass)
- No, You Don’t Need to be Great at Everything – and Why You Shouldn’t Even Try
- An Open Letter to Writers Struggling to Find Their Courage
2. List posts These provide a list of things for your visitor. For example:
- A Practical Long Term Survival Supplies List
- 50 Smart Ways to Segment Your Email List Like a Pro
- 6 Little Talked About (and Possibly Controversial) Reasons Why Your Traffic Conversion Rate Sucks
- 73 Types of Blog Posts That Are Proven to Work
3. Resource Posts are generally longer posts that provide the reader with resources and solutions. Some examples of resource posts are:
4. How-to Posts These are posts that teach the readers how to carry out certain tasks. They are often full of relevant images and videos. Here are some examples of how-to posts:
- How to make and store pemmican?
- how to revive dried kefir grains successfully – there is really nothing to it
- How to make the most with a free affiliate marketing website?
5. Question Posts These posts answer direct and indirect questions from visitors which are generally asked on the search engines. As it goes, This is where we do our keyword searches and “alphabet soup” searches
- Do I need A Unique Selling Point-proposition?
- Small Online Business Opportunities – Do They Pay?
- What Is A Bug Out Bag And What Goes In It
Words That Attract Attention
Here are some examples of word that grab attention:
Here Are A Few Characteristics Of A Good Headline
Here are a few pointers that will help you with writing your headlines.
- Keep it short, simple, and relevant
- let them know the main benefit
- Announce news with excitement (News your audience would find relevant)
- Ask Questions in the headlines
- Appeal to your visitors hunger for knowledge
- Tell your reader what to do.
- Ensure that your information resource is valuable
- Add numbers and symbols
You probably won’t get it right the first time and I usually make lists of headlines. I found it useful to make use of a handy tool. It keeps a current list of all the headlines that you tested and you can easily refer back and choose the one you feel is most suited.
Keep It Effective
Now you have an idea of How To Write The Best Sales Headlines, you just need practice. You might not get it right the first few attempts but you will get better every time.
Don’t fall into the trap of concentrating just on your headlines, The content is just as important. The headline will only get your visitor to your first line. Your content must take it from there.
I value you opinion so leave yours below now! Please! It is important to me to know your thoughts on the matter.