So you have come to the conclusion that you want to or need to start your own online business. Before you take the 5 steps to start an online business on a shoestring, you need to ask yourself;-
- Why – and this is important. You need to know the reason why you need to do this. It will play an important role later
- Who – Who are you doing it with, if anyone?
- Where – your location often determines the business that you open, costs, distance from market and raw materials
- What – What are you going to do as a business
- When – When you plan to start your business
- How – Do you have the Assets to start a business – Knowledge, experience, venue, equipment finance
Please consider a few things before you rush into starting your own business. Most “experts” base their entire business on telling people what not to do to make money. All you hear is Stop, No, you can’t and save.
Do they think we are all fools? That does not bring us in any money at all. It just stops us spending the money we have brought in. But is that not why we earn money, so that we can spend it? Who wants to stop going to Mugg and Bean for a decent cup of coffee, or stop going to Ocean Basket for a nice seafood meal?
We don’t want to know how to save more money, we want to know how to make more money.
You Need A Trail Boss
In the not so distant past, when the Ranchers wanted to get the cattle to the market or rail head, they would Drive (herd) them there under the leadership of a Trail Boss. Often there would be more than 1 rancher’s cattle on the drive but the Trail Boss was the man. Nobody could overrule him. If you disagreed with him you had one of 3 choices:-
- Take your cattle and go it alone, leaving the main herd and the protection it provides
- Find another trail boss
- Comply with the trail boss’ orders
It was the trail boss that had the know how how and experience and finally got the job done. You need to have someone that is in your camp showing you the way. This is especially true if you are new to online businesses. There are a lot of scams and “ripoff” artists out there and you need to know what to lookout for.
There are a couple of ways you can go:-
- Go it alone – if you know the online business world.
- Get a Consultant/mentor to guide you through the rapids of the online world
- that not only guides you through the rapids, but provides the boat and all the other equipment that you need.
Do You Start Your Own Business?
Having considered the who, what, where, when, why and how, Now you must answer the question “Do you start your own business” Don’t take this step lightly. It is a lot of work and is not easy. I am not saying it is not fun or that it does not have some serious benefits.
What I am saying is that it takes, dedication, work, persistence, Hard Work, learning, More Work and lots of patience but, it is worth it as it really works for those who work. So, If you are prepared to put in the work, you may ask “what are the first steps to starting an online business”.
5 Steps To Start An Online Business On A Shoestring
Start with the 5 Steps To Start An Online Business by doing the following:
- Find a need and fill it.
- Design and build an easy-to-use website
- Write copy that sells.
- Use search engines to drive traffic to your site.
- Establish an expert reputation for yourself.
1. Find A Need (Niche) In The Market Place, But….
Before you finalise your business plan, Whatever niche you decide on, Your answer to the next two questions must be YES.
- Does your target market want your product?
- Is your target market willing to pay for your product?
There is a difference between need and want. A lot of people need things but they don’t want them for one of many possible reasons. your best market is one that is actively looking for your product but they are only a portion of your market. There are two more sections;
- those that know they need it and have not yet started actively searching for it and
- those that do not yet know that they need your product.
Both of these groups can end up being part of your customer base if your website and article marketing(Blogging) is right. Here lies the issue for most people, you need to write off anyone that does not fall into the group that you answered yes to in the two questions above.
Whatever niche you decide on, Your answer to the two questions must be YES! A no to either question will mean 50% less chance of a sale, at least.
2. Design And Build AN Online Business Website
This is not a small feat. It can take you weeks if you have no experience. You have a few options here;
- You can outsource this task, but then there goes your shoestring budget,
- You can do it yourself but, there are hidden costs which again, affect your budget,
- You can join a platform but, there are hidden risks and I will deal with these a little later.
All three of these options have Pros and Cons which I am not going to cover in this article. We are looking to start a business on a shoestring budget. So, to start there are a number of things you will need to own a website for your online business. In fact, you will need them for any website;-
- a domain name ($13.50 – Get 2 Subdomain names for free)
- A Domain Host (Get two Free. Normally $13.95)
- Internet Access ($???)
Later I will discuss how to get items 1 and 2 as part of a free membership, where you will be able to earn an income with up to 2 free sites. They never expire, never cost you a cent and have been available since 2006 and are still going.
3. Write Content That Sells
This is a biggie and it is what gets people to your site and induces them to buy. There are many factors to consider when writing content. Some of these are:-
- write to provide helpful information. People are looking for an answer to a problem, that is why they search Bing, Google Yahoo, and other search engines.
- Don’t write with the sole purpose of selling
- Remember, It is a person, just like you, on the other end of your page. Talk to them. Don’t write them a letter.
- Be approachable, leave them a means of contacting you for advice etc. A Contact Us page works as you don’t need to publish your email address or phone number at the risk of getting spammed.
You will need to learn about the following and there is training available on the internet:-
- Email Marketing,
- Affiliate Marketing,
- Sell Your Own Product
I use a platform that provides this training as part of the Premium package (which I use my earning from my sites to pay for).
4. Use Search Engines To Drive Traffic To Your Site
There are different ways to attract visitors to your site, most cost money but the best one is free. Organic visitors. This simply means that you write content that provides the people that use search engines like Google with content that they are looking for and has keywords that people are using.
This is very overwhelming to most people when they first start with their Web page. There is no quick and easy way to do this and it takes research and is a process. Do the work, learn the technique and you will never look back. It can make you a serious income both selling online and doing it for other businesses.
Keywords and SEO are a critical part of building a website and there are techniques and tools available to get this right. I make use of JAAXZ as it provides a detailed and efficient keyword search, brainstorming and Alphabet soup technique. Test it in the search box below.
5. Establish Yourself As An Expert In Your Niche
If you have chosen your business niche well, you will already have knowledge and or experience in the field although this is not always an absolute must. Let’s face it, If you have used Facebook, could you teach someone else to use it? Probably, and if you packaged that knowledge properly, you will probably consider an expert in that field.
By establishing yourself as an expert, you build trust with your readers and trust sells. You need to tell them how to solve their problems in your articles, to build trust, and they will buy the item they need, from you, to fix their problem.
If you write about a niche that you are passionate about or knowledgeable about, it will be a lot easier to become an established expert than if you had to research everything you want to write about, so the most effective niches will be those that you are knowledgeable of and where the answers to the two questions above are “YES”.
Where To Get The Required Help And Tools
I this paragraph I am speaking from my personal experience. This is what I have done personally and the tools and services that I recommend because of my success with them.
I alluded to the fact that I would tell you where to get certain services for nothing and I will do this now. I will provide a link to a review of the system I use that gives you:
- 2 free websites
- free hosting for these sites
- basic training in the creation of your website
- allows you to earn an income from these sites and never asks you to start paying for them
Click the link below if you wish to go straight to the review of the program and see for yourself. You don’t need a credit card so sign up and look around for free.
The aim of this page is to show you how to start an online business on a shoestring budget, not necessarily for free. You may ask why I would expect you to pay for something when you can do it for free. Well, the answer to that is I Don’t! But, if you wish to start earning sooner, then It would pay you to spend a few $ a month. For what you benefit, you will be very pleased you did. I mean $49.00 a month for a complete business, heck, 50 businesses really, you will smile.
Consider this. If you have a free site which you developed to earn $25.00 a month, you could probably do it for both your free sites not so? That is $50.00 a month. So why not take a premium membership at $49.00 a month and have 50 chances at that? Starting a business for $49 a month plus your internet access is truly building an online business on a shoestring. See what you get for your $49 a month:
If you sign up from the review page, you will get direct access to me. I will help you every step of the way with advice and training. All this included in your sign up whether it is Premium or Free subscription.
Your Opinion Counts
I value your opinion. Please leave it in the comments section below.
Please like and share this page,
If you have any questions, please ask them here.